I am so bloody tired of reading stories in which a man destroys women’s lives and then the conversation turns to how nicely he might settle back into his own.
Pierre Raphael Mol, who sexually assaulted six women, has been granted parole and is scheduled for release on October 4. Authorities cite assessments of low reoffending risk. One survivor, Ashley Yakimchuk, has expressed fear that he will seek revenge. He is to live in a Corrective Services managed facility. Those are the reported circumstances. My reaction is disgust.
I understand that parole involves supervision. I understand that there are assessments, procedures and people whose job is to weigh the evidence. But I want to know where a woman’s ability to sleep without fear sits in all that paperwork. How much weight does her peace carry? Because being told someone is considered a low risk must be very cold comfort when you are the person frightened of what he might do.
Women looking for work should be able to answer an advertisement without walking into a predator’s trap. They should be able to trust that a professional setting comes with professional boundaries. Mol used modelling work to lure women to his studio. At his 2024 sentencing, the judge criticised his understanding of consent and continued victim blaming.
That makes my skin crawl. The exploitation of trust. The entitlement. The belief that another person’s body is somehow available because you have decided you want access to it. There is nothing complicated about the principle here. A woman agreeing to work with you has agreed to work with you. You do not get to invent further permissions.
And I have absolutely no patience for the tragic downfall of a talented man. His reputation, his career, his standing in the community — why should those things soften our judgment? Talent is not a character reference. You can create something beautiful and still behave appallingly. Women do not owe you forgiveness because someone admired your work.
What infuriates me about these stories is how easily the language becomes tidy. Rehabilitation. Reintegration. Risk assessment. All necessary concepts, perhaps, but none of them captures what it means to be afraid in your own home. To wonder whether speaking up has made you a target. To have done the hard, frightening thing of reporting an assault and then face another round of uncertainty.
I am not claiming to know what Mol will do after release. I am saying that a survivor’s fear deserves more than a reassuring phrase. I want protection that is concrete, support that is accessible, and answers that make sense to the women who have to live with this decision.
We keep encouraging women to report sexual violence. We ask them to endure the questions, the exposure, the court process and the possibility of being disbelieved. Then we need to show them that their safety matters after the sentence has been handed down, too.
I want these women to have ordinary, uneventful days. To go somewhere without looking over their shoulders. To sleep. To feel that their lives belong to them.
That should be a central measure of justice. And I am sick to death of wondering whether it even makes the list.
Some men suck. It is why secretwomen.org will someday be reality! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks. Better check it out but it should be up today!